My favorite “party” Christmas song!
I am!! I can’t hide it and I can’t front. I simply love Christmas Music! My parents love it and they passed that love down to me. While I was growing up, I heard the classics like Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby, mixed in with a few soul classics like Donny Hathaway and Aretha Franklin. As I got older, my desire from the Cole and Crosby sound faded and I sought to build a library with all the soul songs that I could find. I just like that sound so much more. I’ve probably got about 200 Xmas songs that I rotate from Thanksgiving eve straight through until nightfall on Christmas night. Then, they are on hiatus until the next year. I play it in the car, I’m playing it now at my desk and I play it around the house. Hubby is on overload by the Sunday after Thanksgiving. *lol* Sorry kid!! I only get 4 weeks to play these tunes. I’ve gotta GO HARD!!
A few of my faves are:
- “This Christmas” – Donny Hathaway does it best, but there are a few other versions that I like as well. Brian McKnight accompanied by the Boys Choir of Harlem do an excellent job. The Whispers and Joe also sing pretty good versions.
- “What Child Is This” – Vanessa Williams
- “Let It Snow” – Brian McKnight & Boyz to Men, makes me just want to sit in a dark living room, watching the lights on the Christmas tree twinkle, while praying for snow.
- “Joy to the World” – Whitney Houston and the Georgia Mass Choir
- “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” – The Pleasure Band, clearly I’ve lived in the DC area too long, because I’ve come to love this go-go Xmas song.
- “Angels We Have Heard On High” – Christina Aguilera
- “Christmas in the City” – Mary J Blige
- “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear” – Yolanda Adams
Do ya’ll like Christmas music? What are a few of your favorite songs?