Hey ya’ll! I’ve been tagged by one of the wittiest bloggers I “know”, Fresh. Typically, I’m busy during the work week, but Fresh is one of 4 blogs that I read every day, no matter what else is going on.
Anyways, he tagged me and now I’ve gotta spill my guts and tell ya’ll the top 5 things that I obsess about or that I am obsessed with. This was hard, but here it goes:
- Tweezing – It’s kooky, but it’s me. As cute as ya girl is, there are a few pesky chin hairs that don’t understand that they have been served with restraining orders. They won’t stay away! I own 7 sets of tweezers. I keep them in my desk, my pocket book, my nap sack, my glove box, my husbands glove box, the bathroom and the bedroom. Don’t let me get to a red light and “feel” a hair, I’ll bust out my alcohol wipes, pull out the lighted mirror and go to town with them tweezers. It’s sick, but I can’t stop. I hate those damn hairs.
- Reading – I’m a read-a-holic. It’s a combination of the only child in me and the writer in me. But, I hate, hate, HATE wasting my time on bad books. There’s nothing like ‘em. I think to myself, “Who in the hell left the gate open? How did this fool get a book deal?” Seriously though, I underestimated the difficulty until I started writing my own book. But, I’m realistic and some days I write nonsense that should never see the light of day. I know, I know, it’s all about the dollar. If you can market the trash and people will buy it, so called “authors” will keep writing it. Well, they can write all they want. I have the right not to read it. My favorite authors are Dianne McKinney-Whetstone, Pearl Cleage, Bernice McFadden and Penny Micklebury. I’d spend my last $27 to buy the latest release from any of those 4 sistas.
- Music – Ah, what can I say? I love it, breathe it, need it! I’m convinced that Moms had the headphones on her belly while I was chilling in the womb. I’ll put on a cd, satellite radio or mp3s on the computer before I’ll put the tv on. I’m 30, but I’ve got a hellafied old school soul. Gimme Donny, Stevie, Marvin, Donna, Sam, Jackie, Diana, Otis and I’ll play it to death. Whew! Check Donny out! He coulda had ya girl if we’d been alive at the same time. 🙂 Old school and disco are my favs. No disco bashing! *lol*
- Great Conversation – I’m not biting Fresh, but great minds think alike. There is nothing like connecting with someone for good convo. A great exchange amongst intelligent people gets my blood flowing. I talked about this a while back and the seeming inability of most people to have a dialogue with different points of view. I love it and I look forward to it. We don’t have to agree, but you need to be able to form a sentence, articulate a point and actually digest what I am saying. It takes but a few seconds to realize that you’ve got nothing to say. I’ve perfected my, “You are the biggest idiot” expression to make the idiot in question think that I’m totally into their babbling.
- Innovative Food and Great Restaurants – I love great food. Nothing boring or flavorless for me. Being in the meeting and events industry has allowed me the opportunity to expand my flavor palate to levels I never thought. My parents were middle class and they raised yours truly with “class” and manners, but we weren’t eating any artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, shaved truffle oil, pistachio crusted halibut or rosemary aioli in my corner of Hempstead, NY in the 80’s. It just wasn’t happening. Now, after 9 years in the industry, I crave the interesting mix of flavors. Plus, my Moms just finished culinary school and she’s always experimenting with something. I’m a willing taste tester, as long as it’s not liver! My favorite local DC/MD restaurants of the moment are:
http://www.jacksbistro.net/ Ya’ll, they serve a divine appetizer of Macaroni and Cheese with Chocolate!! Man, does it get any better?